Orthodontic-friendly Recipes: Drew's Cake
As part of National Orthodontic Health Month, renowned chef, restaurateur, TV personality and author John Besh is partnering with the American Association of Orthodontists to make life a little more delicious by personally selecting orthodontic-friendly recipes from his collection. This month we will be offering patients some of Chef Besh's tasty, easy-to-prepare, orthodontic-friendly recipes!
Today's recipe: Drew's Cake
· 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
· 1 cup sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup milk
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon lemon zest
· 1 pinch cinnamon
· 3 cups blueberries or other berries
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚. Grease the sides and bottom of an 8" by 8" baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the butter and dust with 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining butter, remaining sugar, and the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the milk and mix well. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Pour the berries on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with the batter. Bake for 25–30 minutes, until the top is nicely browned. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.